When trying to automate processing of line items, Rossum offers configurations that can get you to quite a good automation rate. In this article you will learn how to set up Rossum to your needs and get you to a reasonable line items automation level.
In previous articles, we have been mentioning Confident Automation. Part of this Confident Automation are confidence scores which are returned for header field values. and line items captured on the document.
In case you would like to automate line items at all times, just set the confidence score on all the columns in the line items to 0 in the schema editor. As mentioned above, we are not currently returning confidence scores, but setting the zero confidence score threshold lets Rossum be more permissive when automating line items. You will find out what happens if you set a non-zero threshold further in this article.
This approach will stop only values which:
- Cannot be parsed due to a number or date formatting error.
- Were evaluated with negative check.
The validation sources of the fields will contain a “score” value in case the value was empty or “checks” if any of the built-in checks were satisfied. Find out how to debug the validation sources of specific fields over the API.
It is a common use case that you want to automate only documents which contain at least one line item. You can achieve this by setting the following attribute on multivalue object representing the line items:
If you would like to be more strict about the columns that are automated, you could set a non-zero threshold for some of the columns.
An example of this would be a case where the Total amount column is captured but in one line item, the total amount is incorrectly computed. Thus, the column cannot be validated against the Total amount in the header fields and even the line item validation with quantity and unit price does not equal, as described in the built-in checks that Rossum performs.
See an example of such a document here.
If you would like to stop such documents from automating, set any non-zero score threshold such as
“score_threshold: 0.9” to the fields. It will stop automating columns which have a value but were not validated by any of the built-in checks.
Another common use case is that you would like to automate only line items where all line items have a non-null value of a specific field. For example, item descriptions can be later used for matching with purchase order line items and therefore you always need to have some value.
For this purpose, we have created a custom check (find it in the list of built-in checks) that can be enabled on your account. Please contact us at [email protected] where we would ask you some additional questions or just let your direct Rossum contact know.
Moreover, you can make such a field required so that the users cannot confirm document with line items that are missing some required fields.
The most advanced setup you can have enabled right now is:
- You want the line items description to be non-null
- You need at least one of the monetary columns to equal the total amount on the document
- If either of the conditions above is not fulfilled, the document will not be automated.
Thanks to this approach, you will avoid automating line items where no monetary columns were captured because you always need one. Or when none of the monetary columns seem to be captured correctly.
The monetary rules where at least one has to apply is:
- Sum of “Total amount” column has to equal “Total amount” header field (i.e. fields filled with table_column_amount_total and amount_total rir_field_names)
- Sum of “Total amount base” column has to equals “Total amount base” header field (i.e. fields filled with table_column_amount_total_base and amount_total_base rir_field_names)
- Sum of the “Unit price column” has to equal the “Total amount” header field (i.e. fields filled with table_column_amount and amount_total rir_field_names), while the expected quantity is 1 for all the line items.
- Sum of the “Unit price without tax” has to equal the “Total amount base” header field (i.e. fields filled with table_column_amount_base and amount_total_base rir_field_names), while the expected quantity is 1 for all the line items
If you would like this configuration to be enabled, please contact us at [email protected] or contact your direct point of contact at Rossum.
In case the configurations mentioned above cannot be applied in your setup, you can always implement your own webhook or a custom function where you can access the captured values right after Rossum is done with the initial extraction. Based on your custom rules you could fill in the validation sources of the fields and thus enforce the automation of the document before it is shown for review to the users on the document dashboard.
Updated 7 months ago